Mechanical Fitter Apprentice
Fixed Term - Full-time, Apprenticeship/Traineeship
Kickstart your career in the electricity generation industry and develop a broad range of skills during this hands-on apprenticeship.
We are an energy business with a portfolio of electricity generation facilities throughout Queensland. We are a major provider of electricity to Queensland, the National Electricity Market and large energy users throughout Australia.
As a company that operates gas and coal-fired power stations, it’s Stanwell’s job right now to keep providing reliable electricity at prices that are affordable as the industry transitions to a lower carbon future.
We are able to ramp generation from our coal-fired power stations up and down as needed, to let solar generation shine in the middle of the day, and still provide the electricity people need in the evenings. While providing reliable and affordable energy for today, we are also exploring new generation and storage technologies that will help reduce emissions for tomorrow.
We have a variety of income sources which allow us to achieve the best possible returns for our owners, the people of Queensland. We sell wholesale electricity and we have an electricity retail business.
At Stanwell we value a diverse and inclusive culture, where we attract, employ and develop a wide group of people who share our values and want to make a difference. We employ close to 700 employees and aim to create a workplace where everyone is included, treated fairly, respected and given the opportunity to be the best that they can be.
Our values – We care, We adapt and We deliver – are integral to Stanwell’s culture. They drive the expected behaviours of our people and influence how we engage with our customers, suppliers, partners and the local communities in which we operate.
About the position
Kickstart your career in the electricity generation industry and develop a broad range of skills during this hands-on apprenticeship. At the successful completion of your apprenticeship, you will obtain a Certificate III in Engineering (Mechanical Trade).
Over your four-year apprenticeship, you will work with experienced mentors to provide mechanical support at our sites. Some of the projects and tasks you will be involved in include:
- Dismantling, assessing and repairing mechanical equipment
- Conducting plant failure investigations and identifying options to eliminate faults
- Performing plant operations associated with maintenance activities
- Conducting safe work risk assessments
- Performing preventative maintenance activities
- Safely and efficiently use hand tools and workshop machinery
- Maintaining a safe and tidy workspace for yourself and others on site
- Collaborating with our Operations and Engineering teams
Is this position for you?
To make a meaningful contribution to our team, you will:
- Demonstrate a genuine interest in building a career in the electricity generation industry and completing this four-year apprenticeship
- Possess strong communication skills, including the ability to ask questions and listen to instructions
- Have a desire to learn and develop throughout your apprenticeship
- Be motivated to achieve excellent results in work and study (you will be required to complete a relevant TAFE qualification as part of your apprenticeship)
- Understand the importance of working safely and following site procedures
- Be enthusiastic about becoming a valued team member
- Reside in the local area - within 80km of the site (preferred)
What is in it for you?
- Be taught the latest knowledge and skills from a team of experienced mentors
- Maintain work-life balance with an attractive 36.25 hour working week (4 day week)
- Free transport to and from the site from designated pick up points in Kingaroy, Yarraman and Nanango (on site parking is also available if you would prefer to drive)
- Provision of protective clothing and tools
- Substantial employee benefits, including a health and wellbeing program, discounted gym memberships, yearly incentive schemes and ongoing access to learning and development opportunities
How do you apply?
We value diversity and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
Please include in your application:
- Cover letter (tell us why this role appeals to you)
- Current resume (must include at least two referees)
- Any supporting documentation that demonstrates your grades, achievements or experience. This information will be well regarded.
Applications close: 11.55pm, 12 July 2020
Further information on Stanwell can be found online www.stanwell.com
Please note that it is a requirement that all successful candidates complete and successfully pass pre-employment background screen as well as a pre employment drug screen.
Notice to Placement Agencies and External Recruiters:
If you are a placement agency or external recruiter, please do not submit resumes to Stanwell prior to having a signed staffing agency agreement with Stanwell. Stanwell is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by an agency other than its approved suppliers. Furthermore, any resumes received from a placement agency or external recruiter in absence of an agreement will be considered by Stanwell and may be forwarded to internal recruiters for their information.
Back to search results Apply now